Congregation of the Mission (Vincentian Community) — 1856
New York State Legislature
- Chapter 190 of the Laws of 1863 - April 20, 1863
- Chapter 92 of the Laws of 1883 - March 12, 1883
- Chapter 232 of the Laws of 1884 - May 3, 1884
University of the State of New York - Aug. 7, 1883
Accredited by the:
Middle States Commission on Higher Education
3624 Market Street, 2nd Floor West
Philadelphia, PA 19104
The National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
New York State Education Department
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
- Association of Catholic Colleges & Universities
- Commission on Independent Colleges & Universities
- Middle Atlantic Association of Colleges of Business Administration
- Western New York Library Resources Council
All degrees awarded by the university are authorized by the regents and registered with the New York State Education Department. Enrollment in other than registered or otherwise approved programs may jeopardize a student’s eligibility for certain student aid awards.
This catalog is published for the faculty and the present and prospective students of the graduate divisions of Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Education and Hospitality, Sport, and Tourism Management of Niagara University. The university reserves the right to make revisions on any or all specifications contained herein and to apply such revisions to current and new students alike. The provisions in this catalog are to be considered directive in character and not as an irrevocable contract between the student and graduate division.
While this catalog was prepared on the basis of the best information available at the time, all information, including statements of fees, course offerings and admission and graduation requirements, is subject to change without notice or obligation.
For additional information, contact:
Office of Graduate Admissions
Gacioch Family Alumni and Admissions Center
One Welcome Circle, P.O. Box 2011
Niagara University, N.Y. 14109
The NU Seal
Niagara University was founded in 1856 by the Congregation of the Mission (Vincentian Fathers and Brothers).The official seal of the university presents in symbol its history and purpose. The original name of the University, Our Lady of Angels, is signified in the lower half of the coat of arms by the crown, the wings, and cross inscribed in a diamond. The upper half of the coat of arms depicts wavy vertical lines symbolizing the grandeur of Niagara Falls. At the top of the shield sits a golden eagle, indicating the location of the university atop Monteagle Ridge, overlooking the Niagara gorge. The eagle bears a purple diamond with a silver heart, symbol of Vincent de Paul. The motto at the base of the shield, “Ut Omnes Te Cognoscant” (John 17, 3) expresses the purpose of a Niagara University education: “That All May Know You.”
Niagara University educates its students and enriches their lives through programs in the liberal arts and through career preparation, informed by the Catholic and Vincentian traditions.