Financial Aid

All applicants for financial aid should submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at In addition, graduate students must submit the graduate financial aid application available in the Office of Financial Aid or at (click on “Graduate students”).

To receive federal financial aid, a student must be registered for at least six credit hours per semester. In addition students must not owe any refunds on federal Pell grants or other awards paid, or be in default on repayment of any student loan. All federal programs require the recipient to be enrolled as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program at the university, a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen (federal definition) and, if applicable, registered with the selective service. Students must make satisfactory academic progress to maintain eligibility for federal aid. Students on NU’s warning and probation status (if reinstated) are eligible for federal and institutional aid.

Before receiving payment, students must sign a Statement of Educational Purpose and a Certification Statement on Overpayment and Default (both found on the FAFSA). Students enrolled in a program of study abroad approved for credit by Niagara University may be considered enrolled at Niagara for purposes of applying for federal student aid. Students must have a valid Social Security number.

All federal programs are contingent upon actual Congressional appropriation.