International Students

Niagara University’s reach has grown far beyond our once bi-national presence. We had a long-standing history in serving students from Canada, now we serve students from over 38 different countries. ‘World-ready’ students go beyond the ridge to ignite a positive change in the lives of those around the world. Our international strategy has made a contribution to the university in its mission, learning environment, academic reputation and international partnerships for scholarship, teaching and service. International strategies at Niagara have led to increased leadership among faculty from diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds, as well as international faculty. Internationalization profoundly enriches the learning environment through cultural exchanges that significantly contribute to student success and a world-ready graduate.

International/Canadian Student Visa Requirements

International Students can work with Niagara University to obtain the documents required to study in the United States. Each student should complete an application for the Certificate of Eligibility Form I-20 (I-20) and submit it to the Records and Financial Service Office at Niagara University well in advance of their expected start date. After a student has been accepted to Niagara University and has submitted an I-20 application with appropriate documentation, Niagara University will provide the student with the I-20 to present to the U.S. Consulate when applying for a student visa. Canadian citizens may present the Form I-20 at the bridge for processing and should not go to a U.S. Consulate.

Citizens of the United States, Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda are required to present a valid passport, passport card, NEXUS, or enhanced driver’s license to enter the United States by land and sea. These same citizens are required to have a valid passport to enter the United States by air.

Canadian nationals who commute from Canada may attend on a part-time or full-time basis, while all other international students must attend on a full-time basis to maintain their F1 student visa status. Canadian students attending part time are not eligible for the same full-time F1 visa benefits.

All international students with an I-20, including Canadians, must report to the records office within the first week of each semester to complete the international student check-in; failure to do so could jeopardize the student’s visa status.

More information about student visas is available at or by contacting the Records and Financial Service Office at 716.286.8728.

International Student Orientation

The International Student Orientation allows international students to become better acquainted with Niagara University, the office of International Relations (OIR) as well as other international students. During orientation, students will receive information about living and studying here, as well as valuable information about maintaining their non-immigrant legal status.

As a graduate student at Niagara University, you should also attend the graduate orientation, a separate program to introduce and welcome new graduate students to the university. Orientation connects students with each other and provides information regarding a range of programs and services offered to students.