Veteran’s Administration (VA) Educational Benefits


Application Procedures

Application forms are available at all VA offices, active duty stations, and American embassies or on the web at Completed forms are submitted to the nearest VA office.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards

Chapter 33- Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008

An education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty on or after Sept. 11, 2001. Benefits are payable for training pursued on or after Aug. 1, 2009. No payments can be made under this program for educational training pursued before that date.

Niagara University is a proud participant of the Yellow Ribbon Program. Any veteran or family member who is covered 100% under Chapter 33 is eligible for this benefit. There is no limit on either numbers covered or amount of tuition and chargeable fees. Contact the Office of Veteran Services for details.

You may be eligible if you served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after Sept. 10, 2001, and if you are still on active duty or were honorably:

  • discharged from the active duty : or
  • released from active duty and placed on the retired list or temporary disability retired list: or
  • released from active duty and transferred to the Fleet Reserve or Fleet Marine Corps Reserve: or
  • released from the active duty for further service in a reserve component of the Armed Forces.

You may also be eligible if you were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001. These benefits must be used within fifteen years of last discharge or separation.

Fry Scholarship

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) provides Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to the children and surviving spouses of service members who died in the line of duty while on active duty after Sept. 10, 2001. Eligible beneficiaries attending school may receive up to 36 months of benefits at the 100% level. Find out more information on payment rates. See our fact sheet which provides more detailed information. Go to VA website for more details.

Chapter 31 — Disabled Veterans

A veteran of World War II or thereafter who has a service-connected disability which entitles him/her to VA disability compensation and who is in need of vocational rehabilitation because his/her disability creates an employment handicap may be eligible for these benefits.

Vocational rehabilitation may be provided for up to 48 months. An eligible veteran has 12 years from discharge or release from active duty in which to use these benefits.

Chapter 35 — Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance

This program provides educational assistance allowance to qualifying spouses, surviving spouses and children (between 18 and 26 years of age) of certain veterans who died while on active duty or who are totally disabled due to their military service.

Chapter 30 — Montgomery GI Bill — Active Duty Education Assistance Program (Formerly Referred to as the New GI Bill)

Eligibility for this program is focused toward the following two categories of individuals:

  1. Those individuals who first become members of the Armed Forces or who first enter on active duty at any time after June 30, 1985. Their military pay will be reduced by $100 each month for the first 12 months of their active duty service. (The VA will not have a record of these pay reductions.)
  2. Those individuals who were eligible to receive Chapter 30 benefits on Dec. 31, 1989, who served without a break in active duty service from Oct. 19, 1984, through June 30, 1985, who have served continuously on active duty after June 3, 1985. If these individuals had a break in active duty service after Dec. 31, 1976, they must have returned to active duty by Oct. 19, 1984 to be eligible for Chapter 30 benefits. This provision allows these individuals to receive only Chapter 30 benefits on or after Jan. 1, 1990, because Chapter 34 benefits ceased as of Dec. 31, 1989.

Chapter 1606 — Montgomery GI Bill — Selected Reserve

Eligibility may exist for an individual who, after June 30, 1985, enlists, reenlists, or extends an enlistment in the Selected Reserve; or is appointed as or is serving as a reserve officer.

Chapter 1607 — Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP)

A reservist who has been activated for at least 90 days following 9/11/2001.

To apply for the benefit, students that have not applied for benefits should complete a VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits. Students that have applied for benefits should complete a VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training. Since there isn't a specific question on the above forms requesting Chapter 1607, the student should print (1607 or REAP) in the upper margin of the form. We need this type of declaration, as the law is very specific regarding the necessity of a Chapter 1607 election before benefits can be awarded. The VA Form 22-1990 and VA form 22-1995 must be sent to the Department of Veterans Affairs with the veteran’s original signature. Copies of faxes of the forms cannot be accepted.

Addition information regarding Chapter 1607 may be found on the website,

VA Work-Study Program

Students pursuing at least three-quarter time training under Chapters 30, 31, 33, 35 and 1606 may apply for this program. Applications must be filed each semester, and the student must show financial need. Wages are paid at a rate of not less than minimum wage, for a maximum of 650 hours per semester. Additional information and applications are available from the VA certifying official in the Veteran Services Office located in St. Vincent’s Hall, Room 304.

Rights and Responsibilities of Recipients

Educational and vocational counseling will be provided by the VA on request. Recipients must report any changes in enrollment to the VA-certifying official as soon as possible. Institutions are required to report promptly to the VA interrupted attendance or termination of study on the part of students receiving benefits.

Further information regarding veterans benefits is available in the Veteran Services Office located in St. Vincent’s Hall, Room 304.

Regents Award for Child of Veterans (CV)


Children of veterans who are deceased, 40 percent or more disabled, former prisoners of war or missing in action as a result of service during certain specified conflicts.

Criteria for Selection

Recipients must meet eligibility requirements. Students must be a U.S. citizen, a New York state resident, a full-time matriculated student and make satisfactory academic progress.

Award Schedule

$450 per year, for up to five years, depending on the normal length of the program.

Responsibilities of Recipients

File annually the FAFSA and TAP application and in addition, file the CV Award Supplement available on request from NYSHESC: 888.697.4372.

Afghanistan Veterans Tuition Award Program (AVTA); Persian Gulf Veterans Tuition Award Program (PGVTA); Vietnam Veterans Tuition Award Program (VVTA)


To qualify, undergraduates must meet New York state residency requirements. For VVTA, applicants must have served in the armed forces in Indochina between December 1961 and May 1975 and meet other eligibility requirements. Persian Gulf veterans must have served in hostilities beginning Aug. 2, 1990. Afghanistan veterans must have served on or after Sept. 11, 2001. For all programs, applicants must be discharged under other than dishonorable conditions. In addition, applicants must file the Veterans Award supplement to establish eligibility. Call NYSHESC at 888.697.4372 for information.

Criteria for Selection

Students must complete all eligibility requirements, including filing for TAP and Federal Pell grants, demonstrate good academic standing, and meet pursuit of program requirements.

Award Schedule

Awards are $5,595 per year for full-time study; pro-rated for part-time study. Awards cannot exceed cost of tuition.

Responsibilities of Recipients

File annually the FAFSA, Express TAP Application, and VVTA or PGVTA Supplement. After initial year eligibility is established, students must refile supplement yearly for part-time study only.