International Students

This school is authorized under federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students. In order to be considered for admission to NU, you must:

  1. Complete Niagara’s online application or the Common Application
  2. Submit a TOEFL or IELTS score if English is not your native language.
  3. Niagara University will offer Conditional Admission to applicants who meet our academic coursework requirements, but need additional English language training. Applicants may apply for Conditional Admission and if granted, must enroll in an accredited language training program approved by Niagara University, i.e. Embassy English. Students who successfully complete the program at the Advanced Level, C1 or above meet the equivalency of our language proficiency requirement. Conditional Admission may not be used for I-20 issuance.
  4. Contact World Education Services at and submit your secondary school certificate and/or results and any college transcripts to the agency for review and subsequent submission to NU. Your credentials will not be reviewed without this outside evaluation.
  5. For freshman applicants, using your English writing abilities, transmit online or submit under separate cover an essay (250 words minimum). Refer to part one of the application for essay topics.
  6. For transfer applicants, using your English writing abilities, transmit online or submit under separate cover a statement that addresses your reasons for transferring to Niagara University and the objectives you hope to achieve. Please be sure your name (applicant’s name) is legible.

Student should be prepared to show financial documentation for the first year of college expenses for immigration purposes. Contact Liz Broomfield in the Records Office at 716.286.8726 or, to verify this amount.

English Language Proficiency

Nonnative English speakers seeking admission to Niagara University must verify their proficiency in English by taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language. A TOEFL score of 550 (paper exam) or 79-80 (internet exam) is required for admission.

Visa Records

International students entering the United States for the purpose of study must secure a passport from their government and obtain an F1 student visa from the U.S. Embassy/Consulate. When applying for a student visa from the U.S. Embassy/Consulate, you must present a Certificate of Eligibility/I-20 document that is issued by the school you will be attending. Canadian citizens do not need a visa from a U.S. Embassy/Consulate, but instead, will present their passport and I-20 document at the border for admission to the U.S. The I-20 application and additional information can be found at